DIY Hockey is a place for this beginner to collect information and ideas from all over the internet into one place. This is stuff I use as I work and play to get better, and hopefully you'll find something useful for yourself here too.

Saturday, November 4, 2017

Right Handed or Left Handed

Because the top hand does the majority of work when you're controlling the puck, many coaches teach that your dominant hand should be on top.  So, right handed people should have their right hand at the top of the stick, with their left hand down lower.  Lefties would reverse that.

What it really comes down to is comfort.  I'm right handed, but I much prefer my left hand on top.  Shooting with my hands on the stick this way just feels better and more natural to me, so that's what I do.

Don't be afraid to try both ways when you buy your first stick, but when you do decide, commit to it.  Indecisive swapping back and forth is not going to help.

Now, if your left hand is at the top of the stick and your right hand farther down, then you are a right-handed shooter (that's me).  Right hand on top and left hand farther down makes you a left-handed shooter.  The important thing is to do what feels right to you.

Left handed:  Sidney Crosby, Patrick Kane, John Tavares, Connor McDavid.

Right handed:  Alex Ovechkin, Steven Stamkos, Brett Burns, Erik Karlsson.

No comments:

Post a Comment