DIY Hockey is a place for this beginner to collect information and ideas from all over the internet into one place. This is stuff I use as I work and play to get better, and hopefully you'll find something useful for yourself here too.

Monday, November 13, 2017

All Around Stickhandling

Like most beginners, there's a huge difference in how well I can stickhandle depending on where the puck is.  I do ok as long as the puck is in front of me, or on my forehand.  Even if the puck is slightly behind me on my forehand side, I'm not completely hopeless.

My backhand is a whole different story.  I stink.  This is ok, because it points out exactly where I need to devote extra time and attention in order to improve the most.

In the diagram below, the two red ovals indicate where my feet are when I'm in my hockey stance.


With practice, my goal is to be able to stickhandle equally well no matter where the puck is.  Not just around, but out wide and in close, down by my feet.

You could, if you wanted, "draw" this diagram on the floor or ground where you practice.  Use chalk outside, or electrical tape or masking tape indoors on tile or hardwood floors.  I've never seen the need to have this diagram drawn out for me, because I have it in my mind while I'm practicing, but I can see where it would be handy if you're working with someone else (like a younger player).

Here's another excellent video showing what I'm talking about:



Have fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment