DIY Hockey is a place for this beginner to collect information and ideas from all over the internet into one place. This is stuff I use as I work and play to get better, and hopefully you'll find something useful for yourself here too.

Thursday, November 30, 2017

What Did I Get For My Twenty Five Bucks?

A while back I posted about buying a bunch of PVC at the local hardware store.  I got three ten-foot lengths of 3/4" pipe, a ten-pack of "T" joints, a ten-pack of 90 degree elbows, and four 45 degree elbows.  Total cost was not quite twenty five dollars.

So let's look to see what kind of hockey training aids I made for that investment.

My first project was a DIY Dangler.  The photo below shows the final pair I built, and next time I go to the hardware store I'll pick up another "T" so I can turn these two into a single piece twice as long - when I want to.



After the danglers, I tried a couple versions of a simple backstop so I could practice snap shots and saucer passing indoors without having pucks bouncing and ricocheting all over the room.   Below is the current version, which uses a beach towel draped over the frame.  So far, this is working well.  More details can be found here.



Next up was a mini-goal that I set in front of the above backstop.  I haven't done anything more than put the frame together for now, but it still provides a nice target when shooting or saucer passing.  There's no post about this one yet, but the idea is simple, use 90 degree elbows to connect 18" lengths of PVC pipe together into a sturdy unit.  The two pipes leading back from the base don't have to be 18" long, use what you have or what length would fit best for your setup.



Lastly, I put together this DIY version of a Fast Hands stickhandling training aid, using the awesome instructions by Mark Ivan.



Right now, everything is just press-fit together, and only the danglers are painted.  I already have PVC solvent from a previous project, so that wasn't included in the original cost.  Same for the spray paint.

As always, a reminder that all the cool toys in the world won't make you a better hockey player, if you don't use them.  Put in the work, and have fun doing it!

No comments:

Post a Comment